Floodgate of Tass
The Danube arm of Tass at the upper-end of the Csepel-Island was closed as the result of the works in 1870. The designers thought that if they lead the water output into the main bed, with its slim down they would be able to prevent the formation of the „fluvial icecork”, similar to the icy flood in Budapest in 1838.
But the regulation wasn’ t really solved, because the 50 km Soroksár Danube arm was flooded several times a year after the obturation, and the siltation of the Danube arm began, too. The order number XIV. from the year 1904 tried to help with ruling the shipping on the Danube arm which meant the establishment of the floodgates, too. The construction of the monument kept off until the end of the First World War.
The plans were made by an engineer group with János Ditróv’s (Dieter) leading, and the building started in 1924, stopped in 1928. The floodgate, the water-drop floodgate and the power station were built in the 1586 km of the Danube. The breadth of the floodgate in Tass are 12 meters, and the biggest lockable ship can be maximum 1300 tons.